Join the Newton Cultural Alliance and collaborative partners for the first West Newton Festival Weekend, June 23–25! to celebrate arts, culture, and history in West Newton all weekend long. The festivities will include food, drink, live music, lawn games, guest lectures, historic tours, contests, prizes, & more. Indoor and Outdoor events will be at the beautifully renovated historic Nathaniel Allen House. Tickets for prize drawings will be available throughout West Newton Festival Weekend at all events.
On Saturday, June 25, 12- 5 pm is the West Newton Family Fun Day. Join the Newton Cultural Alliance and their partners for free family friendly activities including lawn games, live music, prize drawings, and guided tours, Saturday, June 25 as part of the 2022 West Newton Festival Weekend. Family Fun Day Historic Tours include:
- Allen Center: 1:00–4:00pm tours and exhibit An Uncommon Education: The Allen School presented in collaboration with Historic Newton.
- West Parish Burial Ground: 1:00–2:30pm tours. Registration is full. Join us for other Family Fun Day activities!
- Dolan Pond: 1:00pm and 3:00pm tour start times. Meet on the Allen Center lawn.
- Wellington Park: 2:00pm and 4:00pm tour start times. Meet on the Allen Center lawn.
The festivities will include food, drink, live music, lawn games, guest lectures, historic tours, contests, prizes, & more. Here are details on the Dolan Pond and Wellington Park tours:
Saturday, June 25, 1 pm & 3 pm
Dolan Pond Mini Nature Tour to Dolan Pond
Take a short and architecturally interesting three block route from the Allen Center to the nature rich Dolan Pond Conservation Area, featuring accessible trails, a boardwalk and four vernal ponds, which is home to nesting wood ducks, mallards, herons, woodpeckers, vireos, orioles, owls, turtles, frogs, toads, muskrats, fox, and lots more. We’’ll look for ducklings, listen for birds, and visit the newly planted pollinator gardens. Discover West Newton’s hidden gem for yourself!
Saturday, June 25, 2 pm & 4 pm
Wellington Park Butterfly Mini Garden Tour
Take a short 5-minute walk from the Allen Center to the delightful two-acre Wellington Park, dating back to 1932, featuring amenities for all ages – beautiful gardens, open fields, walking path with benches, play structure, basketball and tennis courts, a Little Library, and more. We’ll visit the Butterfly Gardens and Monarch Waystation there to see many native pollinator plants including three types of milkweed, on which we’ll look for Monarch eggs and tiny striped caterpillars as well as other pollinators.
Tickets for prize drawings will be available throughout West Newton Festival Weekend at all of the events.
Prizes Will Include:
- Architecture consultation 1 hour with Peter Sachs
- Artitudes 2 $25 gift certificates
- Blue Ribbon BBQ 2 $25 gift certificates
- Blue Bird Bar $50 gift certificate
- Cherry Tree 2 @$25 gift certificates
- Comella’s 2 $25 gift certificates
- Corner Cleaners $20 credit
- Dog Scoop $100 grooming gift certificate
- Elements Massage 1 hr massage $119
- KidCasso Art Kit and gift certificate
- Good Food Farm CSA 1 week share
- Hair By Hanna 1 haircut, valued at $60
- Henry Bear’s Park 2 @ $25, plus Duplo Lego police and helicopter
- Paddy’s Pub 4 $25
- Paper Mouse $50 gift certificate
- Steinert and Sons 4 half- hour piano lessons, any ability level
- Sweet Tomatoes W. Newton 1 large plain cheese pizza $20.
- Tips and Toes mani/pedi $50
- Trader Joe’s $50 gift bag
- West Newton Cinema 3 gift certificates for 2 movie tickets, 2 popcorns & 2 drinks each ($50 value each)
- Work Out World Fitness Club 3 60-day passes
- Yeti cooler and beach towel