Newton Conservators logo summer photo
 
 

Newton Park and Conservation Lands

24
  Kennard Park and Conservation Area

LOCATION: South Newton

 
Fern photo
 

Newton Conservators trail map   (Buy a copy of our trail guide)

Location and driving directions on Google Maps for entrances at:

Dudley Road  Audubon Drive  Pond Brook Road

MBTA: see Lost Pond page for directions by MBTA

Other maps and aerial photos:   Newton Assessor   Bing   

Connects to: Lost Pond

SIZE: Park: 16 acres; Conservation area: 32.2 acres

LONGEST WALK: 1.7 miles, on loop including Lost Pond
(a longer walk that includes this park)

ACQUIRED: Park: 1982; Conservation area: 1978

OFFICIAL WEBSITES:

Park: Parks and Recreation

Conservation area: Conservation Commission

FEATURES:

This is a post-agricultural forest grown up on 19th century farmland. The mixed and conifer woodlands reveal colonial stone walls, a red maple swamp with century-old trees, and a Sensitive Fern marsh.

The park has a wooded hillside with puddingstone and Brighton Volcanic outcrops. Pigeon Hill is a woodland with a circular stone wall. The conservation area protects the South Meadow watershed. The house is the headquarters of the Newton Parks and Recreation Department, and is not open to the public.

HISTORY:

1906 Dr. Harrison Kennard bought the land. Previous owner used to shoot passenger pigeons on Pigeon Hill and sell them at Faneuil Hall.
1978 City acquired 32.2 acres from the Kennard family.
1982 More land and the house were willed to the city by Dr. Kennard for Kennard Park.
2016 The Kennard Park Sculpture Trail was open from Sep 1 to Nov 11

ADVOCATES & CARETAKERS:

Friends of Kennard Park

Managed by Kennard Park Board of Trustees.

 

 
Send us an email
Top of Page
   Copyright © 2003-2017 Newton Conservators, Inc.