Lost Pond Sanctuary and Skyline Park
The property adjoins Kennard Park and Conservation Area and a portion of Hammond Pond Reservation, forming 140 acres of protected trails and wildlife. Skyline Park has over 15 acres of sport fields, playgrounds, and trails.
Quaking bog — Lost Pond is a kettle hole that has developed into a quaking bog on its northern edge, an unusual type of wetland in which peat forms a floating mat over the water.
Size: 58 acres Longest Walk: 1.7 miles, on loop that includes Kennard Park Acquired: 1918 and 1982
From the Charles River to Newton Centre
Scan this code using the camera or QR code app on your smartphone for quick access to maps and other information on the property.
Owner & Administrator Websites
Brookline Parks and Open Space Division: Lost Pond
Brookline Parks and Open Space Division: Skyline Park
First three photos shown here. Click a photo to view the complete slideshow or click here to browse the complete gallery.
Land was owned by George Griggs, Mary Clark, and heirs of Charles Heath.
The reservation parcel was bought by two citizens and donated to the state.
Town of Brookline acquired the land and drained the site for an incinerator.
Incinerator begins operation. Incinerator ash and other debris is landfilled on the site.
Landfill operations ceased. Land used as a transfer station for town trash.
Conservation area transferred to Conservation Commission.
Adjacent Brookline landfill was capped to become Skyline Park
Geologic Features, Picnic Tables, Playground, Pond, Sports Fields, Vernal Pool, Woods Trail
Newton Assessor’s Map ID: not in Newton
Advocates & Caretakers:
Friends of Lost Pond c/o Brookline Conservation Commission 617-730-2088
Report a Problem