24

Kennard Park and Conservation Area

Guidebook Section: South

Location

 

Get here by MBTA: see Lost Pond page for directions by MBTA

Other maps and aerial photos:
Bing
Newton Assessor

Connects to:
Lost Pond

Overview

This is a post-agricultural forest grown up on 19th century farmland. The mixed and conifer woodlands reveal colonial stone walls, a red maple swamp with century-old trees, and a Sensitive Fern marsh.

The park has a wooded hillside with puddingstone and Brighton Volcanic outcrops. Pigeon Hill is a woodland with a circular stone wall. The conservation area protects the South Meadow watershed. The house is the headquarters of the Newton Parks and Recreation Department, and is not open to the public.

Size: Park: 16 acres; Conservation area: 32.2 acres

Longest Walk: 1.7 miles, on loop including Lost Pond

Longer Walks that include this property:
From the Charles River to Newton Centre


Acquired: Park: 1982; Conservation area: 1978

Owner & Administrator Websites


Photo Gallery

History

1906

Dr. Harrison Kennard bought the land. Previous owner used to shoot passenger pigeons on Pigeon Hill and sell them at Faneuil Hall.

1978

City acquired 32.2 acres from the Kennard family.

1982

More land and the house were willed to the city by Dr. Kennard for Kennard Park.

2016

The Kennard Park Sculpture Trail was open from Sep 1 to Nov 11

Kennard Park and Conservation Area Map


 

Features

Conservation Area, Geologic Features, Meadow, Woods Trail
 

Additional Information

Newton Assessor’s Map ID: 82004 0023 and other parcels

ADVOCATES & CARETAKERS:
Friends of Kennard Park
Managed by Kennard Park Board of Trustees.