Guidebook Section: South
The park includes riverfront, community garden plots, meadows, wooded hillsides, wild blackberry bushes, wetlands, a pond, and an open plateau overlooking the river valley. The park is used for walking, jogging, canoe launching, fishing, field games, kite flying, picnicking, nature study, cross-country skiing, sledding, and birding. The park is known to attract birders who come from far and wide to observe uncommon birds, particularly during spring and fall migration.
Charles River Canoe & Kayak has a rental facility in the park.
Size: 57 acres
Longest Walk: 1 mile
Acquired: 1890 and 1980
Owner & Administrator Websites
First three photos shown here. Click a photo to view the complete slideshow or click here to browse the complete gallery.
Newton purchases 25 acres on Winchester St. from Thomas Ranney and John Doyle for the Poor Farm.
Boston Catholic Archdiocese opened Working Boys Home
Almshouse moves from Waban to a new building on Winchester St.
City closes the Almshouse (then known as the City Infirmary).
Newton Public Welfare Department is absorbed by the state. The Infirmary and Poor Farm are transferred to the Recreation Commission.
City purchased 32 acres from Xaverian Brothers with partial reimbursement from Urban Self-Help Program.
Remaining land becomes Jewish Community Center
Nahanton Park Map
Accessible Trails, Birding, Boat Launch, Canoe & Kayak Rental, Charles River Walk, Cross Country Skiing, Farm or Garden, Historic Site, Meadow, Picnic Tables, Sports Fields, Toilet Facilities, Vernal Pool, Woods Trail
Newton Assessor’s Map ID: 83035 0004A and other parcels
Advocates & Caretakers:
Woodcock Meadow and Birding Information:
Birding in Nahanton Park, by Alison Leary
Natural Resources Inventory and Management Plan (Mass Audubon Society, 2011)
Newton’s Almshouses, by Michael J. Clarke
June Doin’ in 2015