By Dan Driscoll
Director of Recreational Facilities
Background: In 1994 the MDC began preparation of a master plan and design for a major section of the Upper Charles River Reservation.
Well-known naturalist and author Peter Alden was the inaugural speaker for the new Newton Conservators lecture series on March 21, 2001. The meeting was cosponsored by the Newton Free Library and was held at Druker Auditorium before a crowd of about 80 on a rain swept evening near the time of the vernal equinox.
Avery Memorial Woods was acquired in 1959 from the Avery family through a negotiated eminent domain taking.
According to the Newton Graphic, the land “was sold to the city at a small cost in 1959 with the understanding that it would be used only for park and recreational purposes.”