Guidebook Section: Central
People come here to swim, fish, and boat. The bathhouse is open during the summer. Shoreline path and sidewalks allow for walks along three sides of the lake. Because Crystal Lake is a “great pond” (a pond that’s larger than ten acres), it is state owned.
Size: 33 acres
Longest Walk: 0.8 miles
Acquired: 1894 and 2007-2009
Owner & Administrator Websites
Newton Conservators (conservation restriction holder on several lakefront parcels)
First three photos shown here. Click a photo to view the complete slideshow or click here to browse the complete gallery.
Crystal Lake has had several names. Its colonial name was Wiswall’s Pond. The lake was used for ice harvesting in the 19th century, as was Bullough’s Pond. Ice dealers who sold the ice for refrigeration renamed it Crystal Lake to sound appealing to customers. Read this 1911 Crystal Lake booklet for more history of the lake.
The wall and gas lights at Cronin’s Cove were erected.
The lake was named Baptist Pond because First Baptist Church in Newton used the lake for baptisms.
Two small parcels were acquired, one donated by Moses and Emeline Crane.
The city purchased the shoreline portion of the adjacent property, 230 Lake Avenue, and built a lakeside path from the Crystal Lake beach to the existing parkland at Levingston Cove. The Newton Conservators entered into two conservation restrictions which permanently establish public access to the lakeside path.
Crystal Lake Map
Accessible Trails, Boat Launch, Historic Site, Ice Skating, Picnic Tables, Pond, Scenic View, Toilet Facilities
Newton Assessor’s Map ID: 62001 0001 and other parcels
Advocates & Caretakers:
Description and History: