Leo J. Martin Golf Course and Riverside Park
Situated on the banks of the Charles River, the Leo J. Martin Golf Course began play in the 1930’s.
During the winter months, the course is transformed into a commercially run cross-country ski area, with equipment rental and refreshments.
The Riverside Park and canoe launch is at the end of Recreation Road.
Size: 18 holes Longest Walk: 0.3 miles in Riverside Park; 3 to 4 mile walks on rough trails Acquired: 1914
Owner & Administrator Websites
First three photos shown here. Click a photo to view the complete slideshow or click here to browse the complete gallery.
Riverside Recreation Grounds developed by Charles Wells Hubbard. Known as “The Rec,” it included 40 acres of riverfront with sports fields, a swimming pool, tennis courts, and a boathouse.
Hubbard gave The Rec to the Metropolitan Park Commission, the predecessor to DCR.
The golf course, designed by noted course architect Donald Ross, opened for play.
The Rec closed, and the buildings burned.
Rebuilt Pony Truss pedestrian bridge opened in Riverside Park
Boat Launch, Charles River Walk, Cross Country Skiing
Newton Assessor’s Map ID: 42026 0003 and other parcels in Newton and Weston
State poised to take over Weston Ski Track (Boston Globe, 9/24/15)
Leo J. Martin Memorial Golf Course offers a snack bar, pro shop, and instructional services.
Trail and Development Proposals:
Report a Problem