Longtime Newton Conservators Richard and Andrée Wilson own a beautiful two-acre parcel of property in Newton Centre. Together with a smaller parcel donated to the City years ago, the area has both beautiful gardens and woodlands and provides wonderful habitat to a wide diversity of wildlife.
By Jane Sender, President
Published in Newton Tab, April 22, 2011
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Newton Conservators. Our reason for being is as compelling today as it was in 1961.
Avery Memorial Woods was acquired in 1959 from the Avery family through a negotiated eminent domain taking.
According to the Newton Graphic, the land “was sold to the city at a small cost in 1959 with the understanding that it would be used only for park and recreational purposes.”